Saturday, August 28, 2010

Last days in Budapest.....

  • I can't believe it, I really can't....but alas, my time in Budapest is coming to an end. I can't tell you how much I have learned about myself, the world around me, and most importantly, about the people who populate it. It's exciting!

I came here with no expectations....I wanted to see what was here before I made any decisions about the people of the country that hosted me, the region and the whole 'living the expat life'. I am glad I took this approach. But I won't lie, there were times when I caught myself judging; judging about 'their way of life', 'their country', and 'their beliefs'. Eventually when the frustration subsided, I got to know the city, the locals, the expats, the customs and also 'got over' what ever the issue was, I knew those judgments were only half true. The other half of the truth was manageable. I guess if we were all the same, the world would be kind of boring anyway.

When I arrived in Hungary back in May I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Having never lived abroad, nor spent extensive amounts of time in a place where I was the second language learner, I guess I was slightly nervous.......the nervousness turned into slight panic when I arrived to, was jet-legged, lost, knew know one and realized that I couldn't just 'ask'.... but, it didn't last long. When they both subsided soon came the 'oh man, what I have gotten myself into, I'm lost, it's raining, it's cold, it's loud, I want my bed'. But then I began to meet some people here, both at work and the fellow 'interns'. Meeting and getting to know these people, their stories and beliefs, caused my perceptions to morph my thinking to, 'okay, so, it's not so bad, maybe this actually could be fun'.

When the old interns left, and replaced by new interns, when friends came to visit and I was suddenly the tour guide and cultural translator, and when a new roommate arrived, exhibiting the same nervous confused behaviors I remember having when I arrived...I knew that I'd finally reached the ' wow, Budapest does have charms beyond Castle Hill'......I think this is a good thing to leave with.

I had my final exit interview with my supervisor and the ambassador yesterday. Besides discussing the standard 'so how was your time here, what was your job, what did you learn, how was your team etc', the Ambassador asked me about the expectations that I brought with me. Both to the job and to the internship. I had to be truthful, and told her I didn't know enough to come with expectations.... but I am leaving with a whole new perspective on things....like poverty, racism, nationalism, minority rights, and history. I also am leaving with a new appreciation for communication, well timed public transportation, Balkan Beats, a stable government and public service and Kraft Peanut Butter (never will I leave the country without a stash). According to the ambassador, my desire for Peanut Butter is what 'typical' Canadians ask for when abroad....I smiled at the fact that my neurotic behavior was a 'typical Canadian thing'. We also talked about the wonderful people that work at the office, their approach to life and their jobs, and the general positive outlook that most bring everyday. This was one of the first places I'd ever worked where people were more worried about their own jobs than what other people were doing, they worked together like nothing I've seen before, and gossip was always that afterthought of a conversation, not the purpose of it. I was amazed at how this impacted my work, and the whole environment of the office. Something I will take with me to where ever I end up.

She also thanked me for the Canadian cupcakes we'd made her upon her arrival (and mentioned that she knew it must have been a 'Canadian' who would have suggested it). (The entire office was thankful for the treat mum).


Hungary is a beautiful country, and like many countries in this region and the world, still struggles with its past, and is unsure of its future. But this uncertainty needn't be a pejorative thing... if properly managed, uncertainly breeds creativity and innovation. Both of which can help move any struggling country, region, or person forward....

1 comment: