Sunday, January 16, 2011

Tech-in-da-Bush

I (think) I've finally figured out how to work technology in the Bush....so they'll be plenty of post coming your way!

Right now, I'm thinking about everyone, especially those remembering Garnie, a lovely man with a kind heart and even funnier sense of humour. Mac-a-momo anyone?

 

So many people have contacted me asking where I was, why I was there and how did I get there. Easy questions with long adventurous answers, and so I shall retell them over the course of the next few days.....as I wrote them on the long drive up here (to where I am, which is the Northern Territory of Australia). 360 km from anywhere bigger than a roadhouse.

 

As an update from my end, in the middle of no where, things here have gone slightly mental. We had something like 15 people here for a couple of days (which meant waaaay to much cooking....having to make 30 and35 eggs every morning for four days was splendid ;)). really at 4 45 am... a greasy breaky is the last thing I want to see, touch, or smell.....I also have made some Canadian/North American things and had to laugh when I watched the aussie eat them. For example, Tacos. We had to explain to one of the guys what to do because he was dumbfounded by all the bowls of toppings sitting on the table in the kitchen. I think he looked slightly scared. Second, baked potatoes in foil (400 degrees, 1 hr Thanks Dad and Kelly!). Everyone looked at me and asked what to do with them. Then when I told them they were potatoes they looked at me like I hadn't finished making dinner, then took them out of the foil before putting them on their plates. I later found out that this was not a typical aussie thing . Then I made that famous 5-layer Mexican dip (you know the one with beans, and sour cream and cheese and salsa?). hehe. they ate it like soup, in a bowl with a spoon.

 

In terms of weather. We have been lucky that the flooding hasn't hit us. It's been raining and the yards are really muddy, but the heat of the searing sun in the afternoon usually wipes away all traces of rain anyway.

 

In terms of bugs. they are still here.  We was an infestation of flying ants/termites (that come with the rain) for a couple of days, it was annoying, but interesting all these ants arrived by flight, then shed their wings and roamed around. (of course, they didn't clean up after themselves, so we have ant wings all over the place). Apparently they are a sign of rain. It did rain for three days after that (including one massive thunder storm). The lightening storms occur almost every night, and they are really neat to watch because the farm is silent, but the sky just lights up like fire works. The storm is too far away to hear the thunder (or bring rain), so you can just stand outside watching it fairly comfortably…..last night was particularly cool because there were four of them happening at the same time (in different parts of the sky).

 

There are still lots of toads hopping around, but we have a bit of a toad cemetery on the main road of the station when Des, the truck driver came through with his transport truck. He managed to smooosh 6 rolling into his parking spot in the back of the 'camp'.

 

Lastly, I still think early mornings are evil.

 

So the next few posts will be out of order, recounting the 4000 kms to Camfield. Enjoy!

 

p.s. I would and should and wish I could post some pictures but the internet speed will not allow it. You'll have to endure more detailed accounts I suppose. Sorry J

No comments:

Post a Comment