Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Grand Market






I started out today at the Great Market Hall. It is a huge 3 floor market place that sells everything! It reminded me a bit of St. Lawrence Market, only bigger, the stalls were smaller and there were 6 rows of them. I was guided through the market place by Rick Steve's budapest book. The book gives details related to little things that pop up in the market area (a poster of Margaret Thatcher visiting the market, where to see photos of the market in the 'olden days', particular stall that you should look at, etc). However, I found myself just wondering around watching Hungarians and tourists alike purchasing their daily (or weekly) groceries, fruits, meats and cheeses. I tried to learn a few new words but didn't buy anything (as I had a long day ahead of me). I think once I establish a routine, I will go there to get fresh food (the stuff at the local store isn't very good looking....and it is very limited). I did notice that the variety of foods here is not very large. This could simply be that they don't import as many things as they do in Canada, or that they are actually being environmentally conscious actually shop 'locally'. Either way, its neat :). JMN did tell me that it is hard to get any fresh veggies in the winter (beyond root veggies), which is why there are so many 'pickled' things. She also told me that here in Hungary, the people are very proud to sell (and buy) foods that are made in Magyar (Hungary). Sort of a 'buy Magyar' thing i guess!

The book also tells you of things that you are to try while at the market. The first one was Potty's Turo Rudi (Too-roh Roo dee). I saw the package at one of the dairy stalls, and thought "I guess I should try it, it's made of 'cottage cheese' and chocolate I am sure it will be good". So, I got up my courage and attempted to order one. I spoke slowly, and pointed and said " Kayrem (please) ozt (one) TOO-Roh Roo Dee". The women didn't understand me, so I said it again. Then pointed. She finally understood what I wanted. Success! The Turo Rudi was mine :). I opened up the wrapper to find a small chocolate stick (similar to the size of a small twix bar), I bit into it It was like a stick of cold clotted cheese (like Ricotta) covered in chocolate with a slight lemon taste. Not sure I would get this again, but eh, I'm in Budapest on vacation for the next two days, might as well try everything once....

The ground also had a row of paprika stands. Now from the two and a half days that I have been here, I can say that yes, paprika is a very popular spice, but I am still not sure why it is so popular (I haven't tried anything with Paprika in it-yet). Nonetheless, the stands themselves were spectacular. The row was filled with dried peppers, various flavours of powered paprika (spicey and sweet), and lots of kitchy souvenirs. In the picture beside you can see the peppers handing there. All those bags and packages are all the kinds of paprika! Right beside these rows there were meat stalls and tons and tons of Pick brand Sausages/Pepperites/Kolbasa, etc.




On the first floor (in Canada we call this the 2nd floor) there were stalls of lace, table cloths, and souvenirs. See the photo? There was also a section on this floor that foods. Including a local snack called the Langos. Langos is a deep fried bread. They are similar to beaver tails, but less crunchy and they are salty not sweet. I tried to order the "local favorite" of cheese and sour cream, and I ended up also getting onions. Somewhere in between me trying to order in Hungarian, and the lady trying to help me in English, onions ended up on the Langos (and an extra 150 HUFs ended up on my bill). After I got my Langos, I had to shuffle through a million people and find an empty high 'standing' table. SO there I stood, at the top of the market, eating a langos and watching people go by. It was pretty cool. I posted a picture of a Langos (with a bite taken out of it!). It was yummy! the outsides were light and fluffy and the bottom was a bit crunchy. and the cheese in the middle was very mild. I think my brain was a little confused because it looked like a beaver tail, but also like a pizza, but the cheese wasn't melted (its gets added after the Langos comes out of the fryer), and it tasted like neither. it was a nice treat! When Max, Meg, Dad or Becca come (or any other visitor for that matter) perhaps I will take them there to try them (and I will hold the onions!) .

In the basement of the market the pungent smell of pickles was'a'wafting. I have never seen so many pickled things in my life! Here is a photo of one of the stalls (those things in the bin are ALL PICKLED PEPPERS). I think when I get better at ordering things I will go back and attempt to try some. I love pickles! There are so many things to choose from!

5 comments:

  1. WOW, Jess I am loving your blog! This is great! I feel like I'm right there in Hungary with you! It looks like you are doing a heck of a great job getting out and experiencing life! If this were Kyla's blog I would give you too e-probs for that! :D Few points which I just have to point out!

    1) Kitch -- great word..once you taught me what it meant...
    2) I saw the pink tulip..and it was pretty! Last weekend Stef and I went to check out the tulip festival here in ottawa and it was wicked awesome! LOVE TULIPS!
    3) DETAILS, YES! I'm so glad you're taking the time to take in the DETAILS and are appreciating the beauty in the small things.. (this is in reference to your comment on the architecture..)
    4) TOTALLY Impressed with the finding of the statue! and of the taking of the picture with the SNOG (loved the word) going on so near by!
    5) Rick Steve is obviously a god...
    and last but not least...
    6)I am Confident that you are in good health, happy and having fun for more than one reason, but mostly because you're still organizing your thoughts in numbers and lists...(this gives me confort!)

    Miss you tons! Love you more!
    Way to KICK ass at this! xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALso...that is a Lot of onions... I'd agree with the hold for next time....especially if max is there.. you don't want to kill the poor guy! ;)

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great trip to the market. Get up on the Hungarian so you don't starve! Thank you for the culinary trip. You learn so much about a culture through food! I too would hold the onions next time.

    I miss you and especially on Mother's Day as this is the second year in a row that we haven't been together. Your blog provides some comfort in the absence of a hug.
    Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess; Enjoying your blog and the great photos. Looking forward to seeing the lot when you get them posted. Listening to Stuart McClain on CBC. He just played the ballad of Davey Crockett. Made me think of Jessie James. Have a good first day of "work".

    DCJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments! (it makes me miss home, but also it's nice to keep track of everyone!

    Yes, i am getting out and about...and yes I will keep blogging!

    Happy Mothers day Mom!!!!

    CDJ, I thought of the tulip festival when I saw the tulip in the park. I also thought of that picture on my blackberry! lol. Keep me updated on the ottawa crew :)

    And David, today I saw lots of Davie Crockett hats at the buda castle. It made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete