Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day! Blogged letter to my Mutty :)



Hi Mum,

Happy Mother's Day!

Just got back from a long day at the Buda Castle. This morning I decided to get up and go to Mass at St. Matthias Church. (see the picture?)

JMN told me that the Organs were really nice to hear, and the only time the organ plays is at mass, so away I went. The church was beautiful! The mass was interesting. It was in Latin and Hungarian (and to be frank, it was difficult to tell which was which). There was also a full choir in the back singing the singing parts of the mass. The best part of the whole thing was the part of the mass when you have to say hi to your neighbors. Of course, I couldn't really anticipate when this was coming (as I couldn't understand what anyone was saying, and I am not exactly versed in what a typical mass is), but when the older lady beside be turned to me, smiled and said Hello (i think, it was in Hungarian), it made me happy. Then I turned my head to the younger couple beside me, and they were eager to say hello to0. It was sort of neat. I smiled at everyone and said in English, "Hi". Not sure if that is what you're supposed to say, but I said it anyway.

After mass, I walked around Buda Castle, and Castle Hill (I will write more about the church and the walk in the next blog, this one is focused on you, mum!), then went down the hill through the small district of Vizivaros in search on lunch. I found it, and ate it (again, see next blog), then for the afternoon I went into 'local' mode. This means that I went in search of things that are badly needed in my apartment. Now, I didn't really want to go all the way back to Ikea, so I took a stab at the Mammoth Mall (a large 'American' style mall just a short walk from Castle Hill). So I got there, and well, it looks, like an American mall (although the stores were tiny, and the ceilings were very low), but ALL the stores are different (see the photo, okay, there was a subway, but there is subway everywhere!) and I couldn't read the signs. So finding a cutting board, cork screw and coffee press was a challenge. I felt very frustrated as I couldn't even ask anyone or read the mall map to see if there were 'house wares' or 'dollar stores' (would I call this a HUF store?), even in the stores I can't read what is in each row, so I have to go up and down everyone of them (the security guards just love me).

So after a frustrating hour wondering a three flour mammoth mall, I decided to cut my losses and go to Ikea. The mammoth event that made me 'cut those losses' was when I tried to buy you a flower at the market in the mall (there are flower shops everywhere!). I didn't really understand what the lady was saying when I brought the flower up to her, and there was a 50% difference between the price on the pot, and the price on the cash. This just did me in, I thought I was being swindled (which is apparently typical here), but I couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me. Sitting at Ikea, I since realised that I think the pot and plant were two separate prices.... but at the time, I was really confused and frustrated at the whole situation. So anyway, when I got to Ikea, I decided that I needed a coffee before attempting the 'market place'. This Ikea is like the Etobicoke one and not the Ottawa one, so the Market place is huge, and well Ikea in general can be overwhelming sans energy. Also, Ikea is Swedish (duh), and thanks to globalization, I knew that the cafeteria is pick and pay, and I knew what the food was (but on a side note, they do sell slightly different things!).

So, in your honour mum, I bought a coffee (for me) and a slice of cake (for you, but I ate it :)). And of course, I took a picture for you! (and I believe you can purchase this in Canada too!). (look the sugar packages are in English!).

I also send you Mother's Day wishes!!!


Post. Script.

Yesterday I bought my first Hungarian dessert. It was a slice of what I thought was chocolate cake, with caramel in the middle. I ordered from the lady in broken Hungarian (practice practice practice) and brought it home for dessert. I portioned out half for dessert last night, and well, the caramel turned out to be apricot, which reminded me of home....David remember THAT cake?). I will have the other half tonight for dessert and think of my mutty :)

Post. Post. Script.

Ma, after reading your FB comment about needing a cupcake and had I had a cupcake yet, I couldn't recall if I'd even SEEN a cupcake here. Today I was on the look out for them, and you know what? None were located! I guess 'cupcake' will turn into 'delicatessen' (the goodies here are straight out of Benna's Bakery. Very light and fluffy, and of course, wafer-y!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jessie. That is the best gift ever. Hugs and kisses my red headed Celtic warrior princess!

    ReplyDelete