Thursday, May 13, 2010

It's a Rainy Day In Budapest!

Well, like the title of this post says....it is a rainy day in Budapest. This means that there were ample amounts of crazy people out today (and on the metro, one man was passed out and I swear I saw about a dozen people that just looked drunk).

I stopped at the store today (I seem to go everyday, I can't handle too long in those stores, as it actually takes a very long time just to find even one thing!). Anyway, right, so I was in the line to pay, and there was a guy in front of me who looked a bit too young to be buying beer, which is of course available at every supermarket, dizcount store and corner store in the city. The check out lady was thinking the same thing. Although the conversation between the guy(G) and the check-out lady (COL) was completely in Hungarian, I feel as if I understood it all based on their non-verbal communication. it went like this:

COL: You are too young to by discounted beer (the can was very dented), let me see some ID
G: Oh common, really? you think I am too young? I am not too young.
COL: I won't scan the can until I see ID, you don't look old enough
G: really? I think that's silly, I don't really want to show you id, just let me pay (hands the money to her)
COL: Nope, I won't let you leave with the beer until I see ID
G: fine (shrugs, goes into his wallet and gets his ID out, shows the COL).
COL: Good, that will be 310 HUF
G: takes the beer
COL: shakes her head (and to me says something in Hungarian). I sort of envisioned it being something like "That guy was already drunk(which it did seem as if this were the case). I can't believe he was of age"
Jess: Smiles, agrees with a head nod, and says Kosonom! THen leaves.

That is my story.

Today was a good day at work, I met the ambassador, which was really neat. Then I found out that the IT guy will be back tomorrow, so perhaps I will be able to move into my office!

Yay!

Also, Max comes tonight! He's here for the weekend (and I promise, that while blogging might be limited, I will def. have some great new tourist stories and pictures for posting). THis will make the blog a bit more interesting too!

Toodles!

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment