Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Today.

Today was another one of those 'typical' days. It actually felt kind of nice, and I am really starting to feel as much 'at home' as I possibly can. I even read and understood my first advertisement on the metro today. Okay, fine, it was only two words Uj Nissan! (which means New! Nissan), but hey, I still read it, right?

On the language front, listening to the radio at night has also improved my ability to at least decipher words in Hungarian. Sure, I very little understanding, but I figure that perhaps recognizing when one word ends and a new one begins is a good start. I also always know when they agree as they say Egen, and of course Kosonom (sapen), which means thanks very much!

Riding home on the metro, I had my first interaction with a real European footie. Okay maybe he wasn't a professional soccer player, but he sure looked like one. He was a bit taller than me, wearing a black long sleeve nike soccer shirt like was slightly dusty, green and yellow shorts, dark green high socks, white soccer shoes and was holding a green soccer ball in both in hands. He was clean shaven, his hair was neat and clean cut. His feet were shoulder width apart. He didn't make eye contact, or move until he made a three step pivot to get off the tram. He looked like he was a poster for nike soccer. I almost poked him to make sure he was real. It was spooky. (don't worry, I didn't poke him, I realize that is not socially acceptable, and well just weird to do that..and..I also think it could be considered a form of assault....).

Work today was also good. I finally moved into my office with a functioning computer. The weather has been utterly crappy (it reminds me of Ottawa...in the early spring...cold...wet...on and off showers....). So today, I decided to take advantage of the overcast sky (which is the best we've had all week), and go for a walk at lunch. I ended up at the Danube, and it was nice, even if it is terribly residential. Oh well. I also got a few new tasks, and am starting to work on some stuff for Bosnia and Her. (BiH). That should be cool. I really want to try and get to Sarajevo while I am here, but it is pretty far, too far to go by train for a weekend...perhaps if I can find flight I will try and fly there....

This weekend is a long weekend here! yay it's may 2-4. Richard gave me some suggestions of places I could go, and while they all seem very nice, I actually think I just want to stay here. I am sort of tired of being 'lost'-at least for now. Plus there is so much to do here! I still haven't made it to the baths!

After work I dropped by Spar, and they had a tray of veggies on sale for 50% off, from 399 HUF to 200 HUF. I decided that 1 dollar for cut veggies that 'expired' today was a good deal so I bought them. When I got them home I wondered what to do with them. I had about three cups of chopped carrots, a whole onion, one clove of garlic, some green herb that I couldn't figure out, four long pieces of parsnips and some cabbage. I decided that I should make soup with then (and bought a potato (for 20 HUF) and zucchini(60 HUF) to add to the mix). I got home and cut up the onion, potato and zucchini, threw in the veggie plate, some water and a veggie bouillon cube, two types of paprika (sweet and spicey) and 30 mins later I had soup! I also used up the rest of my fel kilo of kolbasca, by cooking it, then adding it to the soup kind of like bacon (this is the fel kilo that I bought the second day I got here. the one that was the length of my arm and then some! Finally it's gone!!). While it was cooking, I decided to Google what the packing said on the 50% off veggie plate, and it literally translated to "perfect vegetative soup". I laughed. Cheap dinner and funny coincidence. I like it :)

Hope all is well please send me updates on your lives. There is only so much fb stalking I can do!

Toodles from bpest!

P.s Catherine, on andy's FB group there is a photo of a pet ambulance. It made me think of fred and laya.....and their dates with pet taxi cabs.

1 comment:

  1. Loved hearing about your instant 'move it along' project. Sounds like great soup.

    ReplyDelete