Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Daddy's Day :)



Hi Dad (Apu in Hungarian),

(this message is for you), but I guess for everyone too as it is posted here.

Another year of being my daddio, and another year of me being your daughter-io. (and having the nick name Fred of course). From hockey nights and early hockey mornings to Sunday movies and chicken with crunchy naan bread, to your creative use of my middle names for the late family dog, and indoctrinating us with the importance of daily doses of carefully rationed (and hidden) Cadbury Chocolate and Jelly Babies, you are the best, and you are also my dad. and that is awesome and fantastic.

and of course, Thanks for everything you have done for me.

So happy Father's day :) (ask Pat what the :) means, also, could you ask him to translate the other emoticons he sent me? I am lost after :)).

I did manage to find you a card, in English. I was very proud of this very fact as I am currently living in a country that doesn't celebrate the Holiday, or speak English. I did find one, but I thought I should explain the card that is currently traveling through western Europe en route to Canada.

Let me recount the story of the card....as it was, as most things are here, an adventure so to speak.

Fresh of a new pillow purchase, and in the shopping mood, I decided that I should make another attempt to find a card for you. and mail it. so it would be there on time.

I walked in to a paper store and saw the rack of cards, and even some English ones (which is always a good sign). But they were all 'happy birthday', 'happy engagement', 'you go girl (celebrating who knows what), and 'happy 50th'. When I picked up the 'you go girl' card, I noticed that the one behind it was different.

As with most things, in new places and stores, I assume that they function like they do in Canada. In this case, I applied Hallmark logic to the card selection. I.E. I assumed that each pile of cards were the same. This was not correct. The cards had no order. not sanity. no logic. nothing. You probably would have walked out of the store, I would have too but I was on a mission.

Having worked at Hallmark (with one of my jobs to ensure that all cards were in order), I was slightly appauled.

So I began to rummage through the cards at the store (which were then mixed in with the Hungarian ones), and trying to hold it together while the other 10 people, also looking for cards, were bumping into me. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the top parts of the word DAD.

As I was afraid that I would lose it to a fellow rummager (I wasn't sure what the demand was in the crowd), it took a split second for me to jump push, shove, get-my-hand-to-the-card and pick it up. Yes, it said Dad, no it did have any reference to birthdays, yes, it was english. I was so excited!

After the 2 seconds of elation, I came back to earth and read the front of the card properly.

it said:




When I saw it, I wasn't even sure if git was a swear word or not. Or if it was good to send this to my father. or if it was entirely appropriate to have bronze sparkles on a father's day card. Then I thought 'but this is the only one, is it better to have a slightly inappropriate card over no card?' and 'I am already missing the festivities, I need a card, I want to send something to say that your daughter, several time zones away, misses you and is thinking about you on the one day of year devoted to dads'.

But then I thought, well, maybe if I explain the story of the 'git' then it would be okay. ...so I bought it. and I have now explained myself. This is a British Card, so we'll have to accept British humour this year :). (Also, the proper, fully covered so your heels don't get cold, slippers reminded me of you, so maybe that makes up for the 'git' part). And for the record, I don't think you are an old git. Your just my ole'dad. hehe.

So that is the story. Your card is in the mail, and you can see it in person (with a personal message of course).

Happy Father's Day!

See you soon and have a great day with everyone. Wish I could be there to celebrate! (and makes sure the chicken is extra cooked for me Kel!).

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment