Friday, June 25, 2010

Libraries and my week at work?

I guess it has been a week or so since I sent out an update into the world.

So, in order to fix this problem, I will now write about my happenings this week.

The truth: work and MRP has taken over my life and ability to act normally in social situations.

But before I go further, would the world in Ottawa please update me on the post-quake festivities and the world in Toronto send updates on the G20? Please please please?

Zis week for me is as follows:

Work wise, this week has been slightly busier than normal- there has been some changes, and parts of these changes required to update briefs, change things around and do some fact finding and fact checking missions, I am also learning about accounting and hospitality and protocols and well lots of information processing is occurring in my brain.

There are also some upcoming events that seem to have engulfed the whole office…..so work = busy. But Canada Day is next week (woohoo), so this is exciting and there will be a ‘garden party’. I probably won’t be wearing my Canuck t-shirt at the party, but throughout the rest of July 1st, I will be the Canadian!

School Wise: This week I discovered two new MRT’s (MRT=Morriset Library, the home away from home for most GPSIA grad students). In discovering the two, I was able to FINALLY find a place that does not allow smoking, that is quiet and that has books that I can use to make sense of what I am writing about.

The first one that I went to was a university here that I was told was English. It is close to my house (sort of), so I decided to check it out. (the other university required a long application and I was waiting for my application to be processed).

So anyway, I got to this ‘English’ university only to find out that it is actually a Hungarian university that teaches courses in English. This means the administration, signs, library catalogue, library staff, library patrons speak Hungarian (with very limited LIMITED English). This mixed with my LIMITED LIMITED Hungarian meant that it took an 8 minute conversation in ‘you don’t understand me’, ‘I don’t understand why you won’t let me into the library’ pointing and charades game for me to realize that I wasn’t allowed to bring my coat or backpack into the library and that I had to down back down the stairs, to the left then the right (past the washrooms) to find the library cloak room.

So that was sorted (and I was able to pass through the doors, and I thought I was in the clear).

Wrong. I then hit a registration desk, and well, 20 minutes later I ended up with a library card complete with computer access two different passwords and an email address: my name @ bpestuniveristy.edu and access to all these services until October 22, 2010 (I also have no idea what the significance of this date is). I also have no idea why I got all these things, but after paying 1000 HUF they let me in, which is all that matters.

When I got there I discovered that the catalogue (that does have English books), is all in Hungarian and the library itself does not use the Library of Congress organizational system. I know of this ‘Library of Congress’ system because I worked at the library- not because I spend my nights reading up about library sciences…really…So I decided to follow my own advice that I used to give people at MRT---instead of roaming around-just ask a librarian.

So this is what I did….the trouble was when I asked, the guy didn’t really understand me, nor I him. So I kept asking clarification questions….then assured him it was because ‘I was confused’…which was true…then he responded ‘I am confused too’. That was when I decided to cut my losses, ditch my own advice and go it alone. It wasn’t too bad, some slight mishaps (learnt the stair case very well, and what ‘reading rooms’ are) but I found the book and found a desk and two hours later I emerged from the Library having accomplished something.

The library was nice-it was like MRT before the recent renovations, with the exception that the architect included windows in their floor plans. It was also fairly disserted, as well, the semester just ended. So this meant I had free range of all the desks….

After this my roommate and I went out for a pizza and watched the football match. Okay she watched the football match, and I tried to join but I ended up talking…then when I realized that she actually was watching it and not casually following (as I was) I started to twiddle my thumbs. (she also told me a story about how her and her dad follow FIFA religiously, at which point I should have clued in and shut up…but it took a while for that to register I guess).

The next day I received confirmation from the other library and decided that I should go and register there and get all that sorted. So after work that is what I did. This university is English. Actually, English, so communication was slightly easier for me and the process for registration was quick and simple. Except for when the women popped out a camera and pointed it at me. Yup, you guessed it, I am now the proud owner of another library card with my face on it J. The picture is actually much nicer than my student ID card too!

After going through security (and given an impromptu Hungarian lesson in numbers from the cloak room man who is the only one in the bunch that does not speak English), I was allowed to enter. Oh man. The library is beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. Really. I swear. It has more windows that walls. It is in the middle of a courtyard. Each desk as a lamp (that is not florescent and that you can adjust (both in placement on the desk and brightness!). There are computers. And EVERYBOOK is related to business, political science, international relations or sociology. It is also shaped like an omega sign with stairs that go downstairs to another floor of books. I think I will definitely enjoy this MRT away from MRT. Did I mention that there were windows? (oh and that the air conditioning levels allow one to sit without a parka on?)

I spent two after work nights there.

When I got home after the first night, the kitchen light blew out. I was tired and hungry and the last thing I needed was the light, that is 15 feet above my head to blow out (the ceilings in my house are like 20 feet, so the lights are also higher). The one in the hallway is also blown out (which happened before I arrived). So I was left do make dinner using the light from my roommates room. I made a sandwich as I didn’t want to attempt anything on my already sketchy gas stove. I have to go and find a light blub (which I can get at the dizcounter), and a ladder (which I must ask my English speaking neighbor about)….or else I will be in the dark… I just have this feeling that the whole process will take way too long….and I am not looking forward to this…

The next night after library-ing for a couple of hours, I met up with the interns to grab a picnic dinner and watch the football match and an open viewing area. I also bought a lemon beer, which I was able to get open with the assistance of the guy behind me and his key chain, and we sat in the park watching the Dutch play the Cameroon’s.

This weekend will be filled with studying…as my self imposed deadline of June 30th for one section to be done is approaching. (by the way they call sections ‘chapters’ here).

The end. Long. Detailed. But that’s me. Blame Catherine.

I conclude this epic EPIC story of my vie quotidian with a Random fact regarding the Bpest metro:

The hand rail on the escalator moves faster than the escalator itself leaving one to constantly readjust. It is hilarious to watch 40 people do this every 10 seconds or so.

The escalator has a tendency to randomly jerk to a stop. I feel it’s entirely normal for one to react by falling..er..jerking forward forward. The person behind me did not feel the same way and I did. She did not react, other than give me a very creepy ‘I am looking at you’ look. I kept my distance……well as much distance as one can on an escalator.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...a library with windows and non florescent lights...and WARMTH! (aka not parka requiring air conditioning...) I am jealous. I am currently in the REAL MRT....and i was dreaming of your new MRT. Sounds lovely. I hope this will contribute to sound progress on your MRP :) haha too many acronyms here...we are beginning to sound like the government....

    Also...I now feel the need to apologize to all viewers out there who, unlike me, do not have a weird obsession with details...you can't please em all..but im glad Jess has decided to please me...ahah ..the the rest of you..Im sorry for that..haha

    Now Jess...for the update on post quake ottawa...
    Well..nothing really happened. The news showed some damage near the epicenter which was about 18km from ottawa or something like that...Mike was on the news talking about elephants in the library.. I was also in the library at the time...and although that sounds rediculous..its not a bad description of what it sounded/felt like...the cellphone service cut out for a while after the quake cause lines were jammed... but i mean as of 3:00 that day everything was back to normal..not much of an event really...

    Its been kinda rainy lately...rain all this week and the weekend is supposed to be rainy too..this might be good for my MRP work :) I cant believe i only have one more week off before I have to go back to DFAIT!!! ahhhh

    Tonight Kaveh, Patrick, Janelle and I are going to see Avenue Q at the NAC. First we are going to Johnny Farinas so it should be delicious! :) Then afterwards Dan and Mel are having a housewarming party...they moved into the same building that Stef lives in..

    Stef and I watched Shutter Island last night...Total mind screw but great movie..very intricit plot with lots going on and very well done..see if it you get a chance :)

    MMM what else is new...Kloe is growing. She now weighs 6.5 pounds! this is up from 5 pounds when i brought her home from the shelter. She loves to attack me while sleeping..adorable......she has also learned that the dirt can come out of plant pots....not so adorable...

    Oh man, life is boring here..i have nothing else to say..haha..I miss you!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the detailed update. including all people and activities involved in your life. it makes keeping track easier. and I can also pretend that I am taking part of the festivities...

    you do realize that when you are back at DFAIT we can continue our detailed email accounts...... this is good right?

    Congrats on your MRP, which I will assume is making good head way (I am slightly jealous).

    I am also glad to hear the Kloe is growing. You'll have to make sure she is wearing a name tag when i see her next, so I will know it is her.

    :) happy weekend

    p.s Due to my hyperactive and overactive imagination I am not allowed to watch scary or medical movies.....I feel like shutter island falls into this category...

    q- if an egg freezes because your fridge does not regulate temperature very well---can you still eat it if it defrosts when you crack it open in a pan? (this may have happened to me this morning).....

    ReplyDelete
  3. a - yes. I would. if it defrosts while in the pan and then cooks immediately it has no time to grow dangerous bacteria...that is my reasoning..what do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete